I work in one of three ways:
in Microsoft Word using Track Changes
on PDF in PDF XChange Editor using proofreading stamps, comments and highlighting
on paper using the BSI 2005 proof-correction marks
This includes as many of these as are required:
- Correction of spelling, punctuation and grammar errors;
- Some (generally light) rewriting or restructuring of phrases/sentences where they sound slightly awkward or unclear;
- Where appropriate, some queries or comments about content – e.g. if something appears to be missing or could be elaborated on, or is repeated frequently;
- Where appropriate, suggestions for breaking long paragraphs into shorter chunks, or minor rearrangement of information to make it clear;
- Checking accuracy of Contents page – ensuring chapter headings and sub-headings match those of the actual chapter, and where relevant checking that the page numbering is correct; checking running headers/footers (where present) are in the right place, consistent and correct;
- Thorough check for the consistency of, among others: capitalisation, use of hyphens, heading style, caption style where appropriate, spellings (e.g. words which can be spelt with –se or –ze), formatting, abbreviations, how numbers are written (either words/numbers, not both, except if one to ten and then 11 onwards), etc.
- Corrections of the above to ensure consistency across the book, correcting errors and where there is more than one usage, if all are correct, choosing the most common one.
I carry out a second check to catch any errors missed the first time around.
Follow-up discussion, where required, by phone or email is also included.
Get in touch now for my current rates
Every job is different so I don’t publish my rates. However, I will very happily give you a quote if you send me a sample of your work and tell me what the word count is. I may have other questions before I can give you a quote, but we can cross that bridge when we get there.
I usually charge per hour, but for students I charge per 1,000 words.
Note for students: Due to the specific nature of proofreading for students, I have very specific guidelines regarding what I can and cannot do. Please ask to see these.